Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Stress of Tradition

A pay day loan provider, "Think Finance" did a recent study and found that 45-percent of Americans would just as soon skip Christmas because of the financial stress. This, of course, got me thinking... Why do we do it?

While driving in town this morning I noticed that all the Christmas lights are being hung, Santa's Workshop has already been installed at Mission Plaza, all the store windows have been decorated or painted with some kind of Holiday motif and I looked to my phone to confirm the date and YES - it IS only November 20th. There is a whole month and 5 days until Christmas and yet the town is painted red. Everyone's geared up for Black Friday and all the cheap deals it has to offer. Sadly, some stores are opening on Thursday night to beat their competitors out of sales. So on Thanksgiving, after having eaten coma inducing turkey; Walmart, Kmart and Target employees have to get over to the department store by 7pm to start setting up for a frenzy of cheap people who will do anything for a discounted television. Just more proof of how horrible our economy is. We will do anything for a bargain. 

As I looked to all these shops and how sparkly San Luis Obispo is becoming, I didn't feel the spark - not even a little bit. I didn't feel that warm, "oooooh it's the holiday season" feeling. I'm so not there. I'm not ready for this whirlwind that drains my bank account and depletes my emotions as I think of childhood Christmases and simpler days. Days at work where people have to have us come "before the holidays" and yet they call to make an appointment the week of. Christmas cards, stuffing your face, driving all over just to be at everyone's Christmas so nobody's feelings get hurt. It's alot. I'm so not ready for this time of year. 

So, 45 percent of America would rather skip Christmas and yet that same 45 percent will be lined up this Friday outside of department stores everywhere. I even saw on the news that there are people camped out NOW. Is a TV or a camera or whatever you're getting really worth it? To sacrifice your whole week? I don't understand it and I'm probably one of the most cheap people I know. Stuff is just stuff to me. I appreciate all I have, but I don't need the latest and greatest ANYTHING. 

 With so many people saying they'd rather skip Christmas - then why do we do it to ourselves? Why must we buy so much? Why must we break our backs to see everyone on one day? The logic is definitely lacking. I know each year our families say we're going to have a low key Christmas - meaning we're not going to spend much on each other and keep it simple. But, by the time it all rolls around we've been hooked. We get lured into all the sales and all the feelings that we have to have something nice for each other to open. Where once a tree only stood, now a zillion gifts are strewn around it and you think to yourself - I hope I got "insert name here," enough for Christmas. 

It's the thought that counts, but more than any of that - it's the time that matters. Seeing everyone and being together is the whole point of these holidays and yet that's what is highlighted the least. I treasure Noche Buena with my extended Cuban family. Just to see them and hear how their year was. Since I live so far away I rarely see them and luckily we just pick up like it was yesterday and laugh and joke and hug. Those are the best moments. Love Christmas morning. Especially, if someone got my Pops a CD of some sort because it goes directly in the player and he's dancing and loving life. Best memories. When the pups get their toys unwrapped and within 10 minutes they have pulverised the gingerbread squeaker and all you see is his gum drop button hanging by a thread. Love our 2nd Christmas when we take 3 hours just to unwrap all the stocking stuffers Mom wrapped. Or when we dance around like Irish Men to Flogging Mollies in the living room. Seeing what amazing crocheted masterpiece Gma has made for someone this year... Moments. That's what keeps me warm during the holidays. Precious, once in a lifetime moments. 

It is a catch 22. In order to see everyone, you must travel all over the place in 2 days flat. You must be thoughtful and find gifts for each person on your list. You must find a way to fill your heart with Christmas cheer and eventually it just happens. You were just sitting at your computer venting about how stressed you were about the holidays and then all of a sudden you are wearing a reindeer sweater, sipping hot cocoa decorating your tree. As you put the star on the tippy top you most likely will be in the spirit and say, "How I love Christmas." That's just the way it goes...  

No comments:

Post a Comment